View Single Post
AmberRoseSmith

Member Since Sep 2011
Default Sep 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyspace View Post
I do think T's screen first time clients, but usually after they have a phone conversation with them. For example, they might decide that you are not a good fit or that your presenting problem is not in their area of expertise, or that they have "too many" of "x" type of client after speaking with you.

That being said, are you leaving really long messages with alot of detail? If so, perhaps shorten the message to the basics and ask for a call-back.

Also, similarly to sittingwatersedge comment, if a T can't return a call, even to say "I am overbooked" and provide references, do you really want that T?
Makes complete sense on all counts. I can see T's screening for various disorders just to even the load. However, re: voicemails, I am quite curt in the messages e.g. "This message is for V, My name is X and I would like to know if you are accepting new patients, I can be reached at XXX. Thank you". The brevity leaves little to psychologically screen. But I am grateful that the non-returned calls are windows into their modus operandi.

As an addendum, I called five more T's today and I think I may have found one reason T's do not respond: lack of professionalism.
1. Told me straighforward that he has not followed up with the insurance company to say he is retired.
2. Relocated offices twice and currently has a voicemail that states her soap business, not her private practice.
3. Two more had name only voicemail, as if I were calling their personal cellphones.
4. The last one's outgoing voicemail for their office is simply the phone re-stated (you have reach xxxx, please leave your message etc....).

This is quite common in my search for a therapist - no outgoing message stating "You have reached the office of XXX" or a message alerting current patients on an emergency contact number. After ten years in and out of therapy, it has become abundantly clear to me that many people in the 90's, early 00's thought their MSW could bankroll them as a psychotherapist. Lo and behold, insurance and the recession has made this profession a preference more than long-term career. That can be the only explanation for the lackadaisical behavior.
AmberRoseSmith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote