View Single Post
Anonymous33425

Default Nov 07, 2011 at 07:04 PM

I think it's true what others have said: it depends on your expectation. Is this place a substitute for counselling/therapy? Is it an alternative to meds? Are you going to find all the answers about your issues? No. Will every thread attract dozens of responses? Probably not.

But! This site does offer peer to peer support. Other people who can relate to what you're going through, let you know that you're not totally on your own. When you're alone at your computer, that can mean a lot. Sometimes someone will be able to offer you advice based on their experiences, or simply some kind words. Don't underestimate the value of sharing things with others. I have been touched by some of the insights that members of this community have offered.

The site does vary, forum by forum, and there are some 'groups' I find I can relate to more than others. Sometimes I too feel discouraged by a lack of replies, but it's important not to take it personally - sometimes people just don't know how to respond to a particular question or issue posed - it doesn't mean no one cares.

I also think you are mistaken by assuming it is mostly a 'college demographic' -- I know MANY of the people here are older than that (a recent post in the Psychotherapy forum demonstrates this.) Sometimes it's difficult to judge how old someone is by the way they communicate in a written medium. Also, I would add that younger members of the community often have valuable things to contribute, too!

I'm sorry that you don't seem to have found this place to be the supportive community I have. I find that contributing and getting feedback on here has been complimentary to my work in therapy, and in understanding my problems.

I wish you luck in finding something that works for you, but I hope you'll stick around a bit longer, and not throw in the towel just yet Take care
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Indie'sOK