Community Support Team

Member Since Feb 2005
6,304 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 07, 2011 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashly View Post
I guess I feel that maybe there should be more moderation and intervention from experienced individuals? Perhaps because my feeling is that this board gives the impression of being a one stop shop, find your therapist, take a test, find a group to support you on this outdated resource. Some forums have useful stickies linked to the conditions section that help you sort out what the disorder is.

It would be good to have a sticky on sorting out/coping with your emotions on the coping with emotions forum.

Hi gashly

Quote:
I guess I feel that maybe there should be more moderation and intervention from experienced individuals?
As one of our members stated in an earlier post, this site is a peer to peer support site. We don't have anyone here practicing therapy in any way. DocJohn wanted a place for folks to come to and feel safe to say what they needed to say without being counseled by therapists. I think our best support comes from others who have experienced the same things we go through.

Quote:
Perhaps because my feeling is that this board gives the impression of being a one stop shop, find your therapist, take a test, find a group to support you on this outdated resource.
Psych Central is not trying to be a one stop shop. We are a site that provides many things from our forums to Ask the Therapist to articles about mental illnesses and many other connections to the world of mental health. We obviously can't be everything to everybody but I think we fill a need for information that many people are looking for.

Quote:
Some forums have useful stickies linked to the conditions section that help you sort out what the disorder is.

It would be good to have a sticky on sorting out/coping with your emotions on the coping with emotions forum
There are many forums with useful stickies where members have posted what they found to be useful links for other members to go to. Yes, there are some outdated stickies as they were posted a number of years ago. Some may work, some may not, but I can imagine how frustrating it might be for someone to click on a link and find it disabled. In that light, our Community Support Team may be able to go through them and try to weed out the disabled links. This of course would take time to accomplish, but it's worth looking into for sure. We can also put together a sticky for the Coping with Emotions Forum as well. That is a relatively new forum (just the past year or so). If you have any ideas on this, we're more than happy to hear them!

As another member said, depending on what you are looking for, PC may or may not be right for you. We certainly hope that you will find this place helpful to you. We have a very wide range of age in membership here. And yes, I do believe there is a social groups for different age groups as well.

This is a big site and it can be somewhat confusing at times. There are high traffic forums and there are low traffic forums. It's the nature of the beast. It takes time to fit into any community, be it online forums or where one lives. Please give yourself a chance, give PC a chance and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting your concerns. I wish you well!

sabby
co-administrator
sabby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
beauflow, Burning Aroma, Caretaker Leo, Christina86, darkpurplesecrets, DocClyde, Elana05, Elysium, eskielover, Indie'sOK, John25, notablackbarbie, Open Eyes, Travelinglady