View Single Post
naturalmanic

Member Since Nov 2011
Trig Nov 25, 2011 at 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychtech9 View Post
hello everyone,

I would like to know, if anyone who was diagnosed with bipolar I or II disorders has ever had electric-convulsive-therapy? Has it been effective in treating your bipolar illness? Any long-term side-effects such as short-term memory loss?

If you care to share, it will be very helpful to me. I will be ongoing this surgical procedure within a week to 10 days? Any thoughts or comments for me, would be extremely helpful for me!

I had a full (12 sessions) course of ECT for a major depressive episode and it had no effect on my depression, if anything it worsened. It's touted as a reset for mania too, but I have seen with that it just knocks you on your *** mentally, but you can still be hyperactive, and with these side effects. I only came out of depression when I shot into mania 6 months later and I was offered it again! I suffered the side effects, mainly memory loss, and confusion, it also effected my verbal skills and there was some definite cognitive impairment (reading) for three months and I didn't feel I fully recovered for 3 years. It changed the effectiveness of my mood stabilizers and antipsychotics. It works for some and I had no other options, as I couldn't shake the suicidal ideation and I do recommend it only as a last resort. I have been treated 7 times at a hospital that champions it's use and many improve drastically while many find it another hurtle. You will need support because you can't drive and it's not even a good idea to use a stove. . .For some it can be a faster and safer road than meds, and certainly better than hospitalization. The process is modernized and painless, but with my mind at it's end to have the burden's of it's side effects shocked me, butted me out of school for a semester, and I would not mark it as improvement. Good luck, but proceed with caution. Watch the research numbers as with people with mood disorders tend to change no matter what gets thrown at you.
naturalmanic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote