View Single Post
Susan Quinn

Member Since Nov 2011
6 hugs
given
Default Nov 25, 2011 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_tsol View Post
I've come to realize lately that I have no healthy way to self soothe. I never thought that would be an issue for me, never saw my behaviour as unhealthy -i bite my nails and the skin around it. Lately it's gotten bad, basically escalating with my anxiety. It's all been very general lately so I'm having a hard time calming down by avoiding ___ because right now it's everything. I've always been embarrassed of my fingers (I've nail bit since I way "yay-high") but as it's progressed I try to hide them as much as I can. Today I showed t (she's relatively new still) and we talked about it a bit.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience developing coping skills. How do you find them? What are they? Any help appreciated
Yes, I had that problem for years. It was a secondary reaction to a primary problem: OCD and PTSD. When I found that out my diagnoses years later, the nail biting made sense because I was trying, trying, trying to make the nails "even" without tools. In my 20s I discovered nail hardener and Emory boards, which helped keep them even and made me feel in better control, but I still popped my knuckles constantly as a stress reliever. In my 60s I discovered SSRIs and therapist to guide me towards the coping tools I didn't get early on.

You have a treasure chest of better coping tools in the village to choose from now that you are openly aware of your need. Thanks for sharing your heart with the e-village to help guide you towards the bread crumbs on the path way to healing. SQ
Susan Quinn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote