View Single Post
sandworm

Member Since Jul 2011
14 hugs
given
Default Jan 05, 2012 at 07:15 PM

Ever heard that "I am not a doctor, but I play one on tv"? well, I ain't no doctor or
expert or anything, but I was blessed to attend a two hour class on suicide prevention.

This is not for crisis line personell, but for those who find themselves challenged.

the group that sponsored it had this as training. > have a familiarity with the
cues and signs of someone in current risk of suicide.
> Q: Question them if they are feeling self harming, don't be cowardly to be clear
that you mean what you mean. Being vague and too marshmellowy does a disservice to
them.
> P: Persuade them. This is listening with emotional Listening, ; not being too quick to
reassure them that life is good, can return to good, and that they are valuable. Be
specific. Remind them of their pet, kids, family and all they touch. This is what
is the first thing a person in 'highjack' is having trouble with is seeing the
consequences.
Let them know they need help. Ask them to get help. ASk, what are you doing to
get help? WHO can you talk to, who is there with you? Let them know you 'will' come
by, or follow through to check on them and then do it. This shows you care.
Keep them talking, keep them safe. Keep them alive for one more night. If they
hang up the phone, or begin to threaten to, let them know the consequences; you
will keep calling and calling, or if they do not answer you will send the police or family.
This will keep the person talking rather than have to deal with your compassion insistence
they are trying to avoid.
and
> R: Refer them to help. In the P: (persuade) you would have been doing thiis or working on moving to this stage.
Get them help and mean it. come over and drive them to a "T" or hospital. make an appointment on a day this can happen or if ASAP situation, then do it now.

I am not saying this is my ideas and I KNOW, I am copying the hard earned wisdom
of this Center that gave the talk.
This is not for crisis line personnel, but for those who find themselves .. as
Winston Churchill said, Called to be the Lion.

"S"

I am hoping this helps a friend deal with their troubled friend.
sandworm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
peridot28