View Single Post
Anonymous32723

Default Feb 02, 2012 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanzy View Post
Personally, from what you've revealed here, it sounds like you're more depressed than Schizoid. Perhaps your so-called 'loner' traits are a result of this depression. You'll find that whilst individuals with SPD are perfectly content, they can and do (at times) develop depression, for varying other reasons, usually because their SPD was a result of trauma or abuse in the first place.

In answer to your original question, I've not yet managed to find anyone in my family tree with SPD. Depression/Bipolar disorder, however, is very common on my mother's side.
I have to agree with this 100%. Sometimes other mental illnesses, like depression, can have symptoms that SEEM a lot like SPD, but it couldn't be farther from the actual truth. This withdrawing from others, not receiving joy from things you used to, are very common in depression as well, and other mental illnesses, I'm sure.

As Shanzy mentioned, being concerned and depressed about losing interpersonal relationships just doesn't fit with SPD. If you truly had it, you wouldn't care about not having these relationships.

If you do indeed have depression (which sounds likely), this is actually good news for you. You can take steps to combat these symptoms, which are very treatable. Therapy, medications, or both can help immensely. The fact that you are looking so much into your symptoms and seeking help is another sign that you don't have SPD, by the way. Most people with this personality disorder don't consider it an issue, and therefore don't seek help for it.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Free_at_last

Thanks for this!
Free_at_last, Shanzy