View Single Post
velcro003
Elder

Member Since Oct 2008
25 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 24, 2012 at 07:40 PM

hey guys--i need to gather opinions here! i have been seeing an EMDR-T for awhile now, and it is SLLOOWWW going, mainly because i find everything out EMDR therapy out of my realm of understanding/believing, but I am and have been willing to try, because talking therapy can't get me past some "stuck" place I've been in for a long time. (I still see my regular T too)

I haven't actually gotten to the actual EMDR, but right now we are focusing on trying to make me more aware of my bodily awareness when i am feeling feelings. my T says that our bodies hold memories, even if our conscious mind cant remember them--so if we can get greater access to how "my body feels," it can help us gain greater understanding and awareness of my emotions. Or something like that.

I fail miserably whenever she asks me how i feel in my body whenever an emotion comes up. i always say "i don't know," and shrug. which is true- i feel the same. the only physical manifestations i do notice is when i am nervous.

the question that i am asking is: do you believe that somehow gaining awareness of your body's subtle clues will help processing emotion-or in my case, understanding/feeling emotions other than anxiety. Do you believe that you can get stuck in talk therapy and need to find other ways to access your subconscious? i have little memory from ages 4-10. i have a few scattered about, but am missing a lot. but from all of my memories i do have and know about my life-i am not expecting all these traumatic memories to flood in.
velcro003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
anonymous112713