venusss
Maidan Chick

Member Since Mar 2010
14 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 29, 2012 at 03:20 AM

Quote:
Herein comes the purpose of medication. It plays a very important part in a treatment plan - especially when used in conjunction with a therapy (such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Dialectical Behavioural Therapy). What their purpose is...is to at least partially improve a mood so that the patient can take part in therapy and has more willpower to commit to it - as well as increase their positivity and help them to feel as though the therapy is getting somewhere.

But with such low rates of efficiency... we need something else here. I don't know. When I hear of 15 minutes appointments with pdocs and their often present dismissivness towards patients........ added on the "you cain't" attitude... no wonder it doesn't all work.

(I am not even doubting efficiency of psychdrugs. Just efficiency of psychdrugs thrown at the person in fast appointment slot by a psychiatrist who fails in basic psychology of communication and interaction).

I think there needs to be emphasis on personal empowerment. Yes you can live your life. Dunno, it often seems to me it's 9-5 job or nothing. Alternative lifestyle probably aren't encouraged too much (I walked out when told I need to be on drugs and I shouldn't travel... I thought it was rude of her, I was not telling her she cannot breathe).

I wish the peer support organizations and **** focused more on this. On the humane aspects. On the existential ones. I do think it is possible to program yourself to the state of mind where you have well functioning crisis mode and can do it yourself most of them time. Not saying you will be 100% functional during a nasty episode, but you get through without massive damage. And more importantly maintain some sense of life despite your quirk. Finding the light and all that.

I don't know where should one start when getting back on the track. But I think more humanity in approach towards person seeking help wouldn't hurt.

HATEFREE CULTURE

venusss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Confusedinomicon, Tsunamisurfer