Magnate

Member Since Feb 2011
27 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2012 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingatwatersedge View Post
not shaking, but finding that I'm unconsciously rocking in the waiting room (which is chancy, as people walk through there a lot), sweaty palms, hands like ice. You'd think after all this time it wouldn't be like that.

Has anyone ever remarked on any of this to T and if so what was the response? Twice I think I've mentioned it, once to T1 and once to T2, and each time they looked concerned like gee, you shouldn't be feeling that way, it's only therapy, I'm not the enemy. ONLY therapy!!
Shaking during session, rocking in the waiting room, sweaty palms, feeling sick to my stomach...yup.

And, yes, I've mentioned it to my T. Usually, we talk about why I'm feeling that way, what might be making me anxious, and T guides me through some deep breathing or just asks me to take a minute to acknowledge the anxiety. She's never made me feel silly for feeling like I do.

When I start shaking during a session, I used to try and hide it or just push it away. Lately, I've started telling my T. We talk about the sensation. She asks me to acknowledge it, notice it, but not judge or fight it. She helps me to ground myself by either guiding me through deep breathing, or asking me to pay attention to a single sound or sight and just be present. It helps a lot. It doesn't always get rid of the shaking, but it becomes more manageable.

Thanks for this!
sittingatwatersedge