View Single Post
dragonfly2
Grand Member

Member Since Mar 2011
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 09, 2012 at 06:53 PM

The DDS understands that psychiatric disorders are a good day/bad day type of thing. They want to hear about your bad days. The days you can't get out of bed, or shower, or think clearly enough to balance a checkbook. The days you feel so lethargic that you can't drive to appointments or maintain social interactions. The days when your mind is racing, or you are hallucinating. They understand that there will be days when you can do the grocery shopping or the laundry. They want to know about the days you can't. Those are the ones preventing you from working.

As for the service you're receiving from the attorney's office - it sounds like you need to have a serious discussion with the attorney, letting him know that so far you're unimpressed. I'm not sure what kind of recourse you have in terms of firing this firm and finding another - it depends on how much work they've already done for you. Check your contract to see if there is a way to cancel it before a certain point if you're still not happy after discussing it with the attorney.

Oh, and as for the physical aspects of your job - I know for me, bipolar disorder is very physically debilitating. Whether I'm too leaden to move or my mind has slowed down to the point of not being able to do simple calculations - or maybe you have a lot of pain with your depressions - or you become so physically agitated during mania that you can't sit still or can't safely start an IV. I think you'll find that there are more physical symptoms than you realize. Break it down: I know I can barely lift a laundry basket when even moderately depressed - there's no way I could lift a patient. Could you calculate an accurate med dosage during mania? I might be able to - but then I'd become so distracted by something else that I'd forget it.

Just some examples there to help....

I feel your light upon my face

~Sting, Lithium Sunset

dragonfly2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Rose76