Magnate

Member Since Apr 2010
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaRules View Post
My daughter will be 15 next month, and recently she came to me and told me she thinks that she may be bisexual. I told her that it absolutely didn't change how we thought of her, we love and support both our kids no matter what.

I know that her best friend in the world is bisexual, has been for years. I also know that my daughter has had sex with a boy previously. (Whole other LONG story)

My daughter has been getting cozy with a guy at school, but I have noticed what seems like extreme jealousy coming from my daughter's best friend.

My daughter has expressed interes in girls, but not this particular girl...

My question is this: Is it wise to still let her come over to stay the night, or for any sleepovers to happen?

Advice and thoughts on the matter are most welcome. I am not one who doesn't realize that if something is going to happen, it can happen anywhere, anytime.
Yes, I think you should still allow your daughter to have sleepovers. Disallowing sleepovers simply because she is bisexual would be taking away a typical teenage privilege simply because of her sexual orientation. It would make her feel "different" and send the message to her friends that she is, in fact, "different." As Leed suggested, if she is in a relationship with a particular person (male or female) it would be appropriate to disallow those specific sleepovers, but I do not think it would be appropriate to ban sleepovers outright, or to ban her best friend from sleeping over (since, presumably, she is not in a romantic relationship with this friend).

Speaking from personal experience, I'm a lesbian and, as a teenager, I had my female friends sleep over at my house all the time. Nothing sexual happened. They were my "friends." If my dad had banned me from having sleepovers because of my sexual orientation it would have made me feel like a social leper and sent the message to my straight friends that it was not "safe" to sleep over at my house lest I "put the moves on them" during the night. To be excluded from the circle of girl friends who sleep over at each other's houses in high school would make your daughter to miss out on a significant part of the teenage experience, distance her from her friends, and possibly make her resent you.

It sounds like you're an attuned, loving, and caring parent-- I wish you and your daughter the best!
scorpiosis37 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
KarmaRules