View Single Post
Woman_Healing

Member Since Jan 2010
Default May 03, 2012 at 08:52 AM

No one here said it's inevitable that you'll become an alcoholic. And you're not "mentally ill", and no psychiatrist is going to be able to help you heal. This is a matter for the rooms of 12-step recovery. Booze or no booze, the illness is the same. Symptoms can differ in people too, but the bottom line Problem and Solution is the same.

We in 12-step recovery are the only ones who can truly help you heal.

Your Pride is stopping you from going, and that's the very nature of this disease.

Hopefully you won't have to have another crisis before you're ready to come find us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *freak* View Post
No, it's not inevitable. People always say with absolute certainty that children of an alcoholic become alcoholics themselves and it irritates me to no end. There's a HUGE difference between something that's likely to happen and something that's bound to happen.

My father is a recovered alcoholic. I'm mentally ill because of the environment he created for our family when I was growing up: unsafe, unpredictable, with no love. So I'm told I'll probably become an alcoholic because of my father's drinking AND because of my depression. Except it's not gonna happen I don't even drink.

I used to avoid alcohol because of all this pressure that was put on me whenever the subject of alcoholism was brought up. Everyone was acting like I'm doomed, like there's no hope for me and I was so scared they could be right... I told myself: Let's nip it in the bud: if I don't drink I won't be able to become an alcoholic.

I later found out it was unnecessary. I have been drunk only a few times in my life and I didn't even like it. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and why it's supposed to be so tempting. Now I know: it does nothing for me. Nothing happened, I didn't start craving a drink, I didn't develop an addiction, no bottomless pit opened to swallow me whole. Now I'm way more relaxed about it. I don't get uncomfortable when offered a drink, I don't decline a cookie if it's flavoured with alcohol and while I don't drink or get drunk I can enjoy a little Maraschino on my ice-cream a couple times a year. No worries

I wish you luck and good things in life
Woman_Healing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote