View Single Post
NuckingFutz
Pet Lady of Psychcentral

Member Since Sep 2005
71 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 08, 2012 at 12:05 PM

My fiancee has DPD and depression. I know this going into the relationship. I don't mind being tied to the hip with him. Occasionally we may have to be apart (i.e. hospital admission for my bipolar) and yes, it drives him nuts. I love him very much and I let him choose to get help, or go nuts until I get home. He goes to work and loves working whee re he works or he would have a problem with it.

One of the of this disorder is substance abuse even if it is alcohol. The first thing the pdocs and therapists will recommend is stop the drinking before you can work on the DPD. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is usually used to treat DPD. Maybe you can do some work on your own with cognitive behavioral therapy. Dr. Burns wrote several books on it... I think one of them is called "The Feeling Good Handbook".

You also might want to examine your mother's behavior...sometimes others enable us while trying to help. Has she always done things for you without asking? Perhaps this may have something to do with your disorder?

I am commited to staying with my fiancee (commitment, communication and comprimise is what we have based our relationship on). Sometimes it drives me nuts, but this is what I have committed to willingly because he is such a wonderful person.

I wish you luck and all the happiness in the world.

National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD
National Dom Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE

NuckingFutz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote