View Single Post
nopeso

Member Since Apr 2011
Angry May 26, 2012 at 09:07 AM

I've applied for SSDI a month ago using an attorney. You do not get Medicare for at least two years if SSDI is approved. I'm single, the most I can get from SSDI is $1700 a month. My meds are $849 a month. I've been hospitalized a few times. If it happens without insurance...
With SSI, you have to be broke to file. That includes cashing in 401K's or retirement plans which can really put you in a serious decision making bind. You can, as a single person only have a house, a car and $2000.
Many people consider SSI to be welfare, including my attorney. The money you get comes out of the general tax fund, not what you have paid in. You get Medicare immediately upon approval of SSI but you wait 2 years for it on SSDI. Makes no sense.
I will try all avenues for meds but what sucks is losing my doctors, one I've seen for 20 years.
Brits hear our situation with insurance and can't believe what we go through here. Vote Obama or it will get much worse. (vote your conscious) But Obama is moving in the right direction.
I too can see myself homeless and I started doing farm work when I was 12 and have always worked. So, why do I have to put up with SSDI delays and denials to get MY money.
(may have gone off topic, sorry)
nopeso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote