View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,464 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 27, 2012 at 02:07 AM

Here's something I recommend. I did it, and was real, real glad I did. Go to Barnes and Noble, or wherever you find has good, current paperback reading material. Buy a book, or two on Bankruptcy.

Check out some of Suzy Orman's books; they are written in a style that is reader-friendly. (Her book for the Young, Fabulous and Broke is a good primer in personal finance whatever age you may be. I bought one for me and I'm over 50; then I sent copies to my nieces.)

The reading I did helped me understand why the financial counselor recommended what she did. I ended doing my bankruptcy "Pro Se" which means without the help of a lawyer. The main think is not to lawyer up. The main think is to smarten up with some real homework. (Those lawyers like you to be dumb, 'cause then you are so pathetically dependent on them. Not a good place to be. Most of what you think you hire them for ends up being done by paralegals and clerks.)

I got to tell you one more thing. The "intensive longish term mental health care" that you think you might need . . . and that might restore you to being well and able to be gainfully employed again . . . and that you're willing to go into hock for and risk the loss of your home for . . . take it from me - it's highly overrated. (Well, don't take it from me. You don't know me.) I did a good bit of that, myself. I spent thousands back when I had a very good income and wanted more than insurance would pay. I went out and bought me the best. I payed right out of my pocket for it - and with credit cards, like you are finding yourself doing - it was NOT worth what I paid.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote