View Single Post
PositiveKarma

Member Since May 2012
7 hugs
given
Default Jun 04, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. Some very good, thoughtful, information to consider. I truly appreciate this.

Mostly, I'm relieved to learn that a mood stabilizer won't do what I thought it would- change my personality or ability to feel, or express, my emotions. So basically, if I'm understanding this correctly, it just balances your moods more evenly and prevents more frequent cycles of them? Is this correct?

farmergirl: I have read the DSM IV diagnostic criteria for Bipolar II. And this is why I brought this up to my pdoc. I believe I exhibit many of these symptoms, but I'm not sure if they're prevalent/frequent enough (or interfere with my daily functioning) to warrant this diagnosis. Thank you for the reminder that the DSM is the source for diagnosis and not meds alone. Good reassurance to have. I'm not sure, but I think this is why my pdoc offered the mood stabilzer. Dunno. I'll have to ask her when at my next appt.

Eliza: Huh, I never knew about this. Think I'll have to research this. How do mood stabilizers help you, please? Maybe this info will be helpful to me. So are you saying then that people who have Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD) still remain depressed even when on antidepressants? If so, this isn't the case with me- they help. It was just the Prozac which increased my depression. The reason why I asked about Bipolar is because of my suspected symptoms, not because I don't respond to antidepressants. Interesting though and still worth a look. Thank you for this.

Also, another question. Do mood stabilizers help with racing thoughts and cyclic episodes of insomnia? These are probably two areas of my greatest concern. I have noticed my racing thoughts seem curbed since going back on Lexapro. But my sleep cycles- not so much. But then again, it's only been a couple weeks since I started taking them.

Thanks again everyone for your replies. I look forward to more. Have a wonderful day!

~*PositiveKarma*~

~* In Love and Light *~
~* Peace and Healing Energy *~

~* "All that we are is the result of what we have thought." *~ - Buddha
PositiveKarma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote