View Single Post
BlessedRhiannon
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2011
27 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 04, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I've just recently switched from every week to every other week. I'd been kinda thinking about it for a couple of weeks, and when I brought it up with my T, she said she'd been thinking about it as well. We talked about it some, and I asked if her policy was to wait until a client brought it up before suggesting a decrease in sessions. She confirmed that it was, so I asked her how long she'd been thinking about having me go to every other week, and she said that she'd been considering it for a couple of months. I have a standing appointment, but had to reschedule things in July due to vacations for both myself and my T. That rescheduling ended up being sessions every other week. So, T asked me if I wanted to go ahead and make the change in June, or wait until July. I decided to make the change starting with June.

It's been really hard for me, actually. Partly because I have had some stuff happen in the past month that would have been easier to deal with by having sessions every week. I also have some past T experiences (with previous T's) that are getting triggered by this change, and causing me to try to pull away from my T. I've needed a lot of reassurance from my T that she's still there and still wants to work with me, and she's not trying to terminate, and that she's still able to support me just as she always has. Fortunately, my T seems to understand that I need that reassurance, and has been giving it quite freely. I've never felt such a need for reassurance from my T before, and I really didn't expect this change to be quite so hard. It's triggering all kinds of fears of abandonment and I find myself wanting to distance myself from my T to keep from getting hurt. We've talked about it, and will continue to do so, and T has assured me that she'll help me get through this rough patch.

In a way, going to every two weeks has been good for me, because it's brought up some interesting things to work on in session, and has triggered things that I experience in everyday life that hadn't cropped up with my T. It's been hard to accept that T isn't going to abandon me. It's been hard to deal with a schedule change (I don't deal well with change). It's been especially hard for me to stay connected with T, but she's working with me to keep the connection going.

Hugs from:
Anonymous33145, pbutton