Perna
Pandita-in-training

Member Since Sep 2006
550 hugs
given
Default Aug 05, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
Consider the outcome that you think is fair to you, then frame your answers to support the limitations in working that you honestly believe you have. Good Luck.
Rose, you're still thinking like there should be something you could do! A disability is a disability and there's no shame in it!

My quadriplegic coworker friend and I use to tease one another and he'd say, "Don't make me get up out of this wheel chair!" (and hurt you :-)

He couldn't get in the door of the office, which was locked due to the neighborhood, one had to ring a bell to have us see who was at the door and release the lock; there was glass next to the door and you could see who it was. Because of his wheelchair he could not grab the doorknob and get back (it opened out) and then go forward again through the door, too complicated a maneuver. When he'd ring to come in, we would sometimes wave to him, call out a greeting, instead of immediately jumping up and holding the door open for him :-)

I see those with disabilities as a blessing to me. When we are all alike it is harder to remember and pay attention to individual differences, see the other person for themselves instead of just as part of the furniture, or a number. I think those who work around any one population type; disabled, jailed, poor, unemployed, battered, mentally ill, are in danger of seeing the world only in those terms and individuals don't register anymore. I like having my environment rough and uneven, having lots of different types of people around me, people with different needs and abilities, different sizes and shapes, etc.

Thanks for this!
Nammu, sabby