View Single Post
here today
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
Default Aug 09, 2012 at 09:02 PM

I don’t know of anything specific for AvPD. But therapies are improving so there probably is something out there which will help. It just may not be obvious or easy to find.

Someone in the NPD section, I think it was, mentioned “schema therapy” and I looked that up. Looks pretty promising for PD’s in general!! Maybe you’d like to check that out?

My current (or most recent) diagnosis was PDNOS. I probably had OCPD before a breakdown 10 years ago. I’ve been concerned with the possibility/probability that I had a PD for 20 years. Unfortunately, normal therapy doesn’t usually help with most PD’s and some/lots of therapists used to take us on without knowing what the heck they were doing, IMHO. That’s also kind of an OCPD-ish harsh judgment, but I’m pretty sure I’m on the track to being well so I’ll risk it.

But I’d also like to warn you – breaking the “back” of my PD so that I could think and feel more flexibly about myself and other people has been difficult and painful. I developed my PD as a “defense” to experiencing certain kinds of painful feelings in my childhood and my therapist and I have had to get to that pain in order to rework it. I don’t know for sure that’s how it would work for AvPD but it could.
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
OrangeMoira