View Single Post
desirae
Poohbah

Member Since Dec 2005
Default Jul 25, 2006 at 12:05 PM

I receive WIC for my children, I get milk, eggs, juice, and peanut butter to make sure my children get the nutrition the need. I'm not ashamed I get WIC because I feel it's important my kids have these things.

Anyway, at my last appointment, I mention to the WIC workers that I was very interested in teaching and influencing teenage mothers to breastfeed their babies. I made a website (which I need to fix a bit), and wrote many articles and poems on this subject. I showed them some of my work and they were impressed.

They asked me if I would like to come in and speak with some teen moms about my experience with both bottle feeding and breastfeeding my children, (I breastfed my first baby for 2 months then went to bottle, and breastfed my second for a full year, so I'm aware of both types of feedings.) I'm very excited and honored they asked me.

When I went to an breastfeeding class with my sister when she was pregnant I practically ran the group, the teacher was thrilled because it just so happened she lost her voice and needed assistance. I'm so happy, I hope I can influence these young mothers to give breastfeeding a chance, it is a beautiful gift you can give your child.