View Single Post
Rapunzel
Legendary

Member Since Jun 2003
132 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2006 at 03:40 PM

I don't think it will go away until we find some other way to cope and address the real problems. It seems to be almost an epidemic among teens, and I think that some of them might just experiment with it the way that some experiment with drugs and alcohol, or any other way that they can remove themselves from their normal teenage challenges or make a statement of independence or a plea for help. Maybe that kind of experimentation is pretty much normal. Some of those young people will find their way, get the help they need, learn how to deal with their problems directly, and no longer need such coping strategies.

But some don't get whatever it is that they needed, and continue in self-destructive patterns well into adulthood. I'm not sure it matters what the method is. Some kids experiment with drugs and get addicted and struggle with addiction for many years, while others experiment and decide they don't need that. Maybe it is the same with self injury.

I was also surprised to learn that it is fairly normal for college-aged young women to develop eating disorders, and that the majority of them move on and leave that behind and are fine. But some don't.

Just an idea that came to me. What do you think?

And for those of us who didn't grow out of it, how do we learn those coping skills that we missed? Therapy seems essential. What, exactly, are those skills?

Rap

Rapunzel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote