View Single Post
Thoughtbubble

Member Since Sep 2012
2 hugs
given
Default Sep 26, 2012 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic View Post
Have you asked your psychiatrist about the possibility of permitting you to have an
MRI of your brain? That will reveal any physiological reasons for your stumbling around the house and possibly eliminate any worry regarding that.

Secondly, you need to stop drinking alcohol. Period. Alcohol makes bipolar illness worse. In addition, it is a depressant, and it kills brain cells. I don't know about you, but I need every one I've got.

And, finally, you need to be on a psychotropic medication of some type that will stabilize your moods. You may not need a heavy dose, just enough to take the edge off your feelings.

Without medication, bipolar illness becomes worse and life span is shortened.

I know that this sounds blunt, but you can't afford to play games with this illness.
It can be serious, but it can also be treated, and you may find that you will live a
constructive and content, if not happy, life ahead.

I hope you will pay attention to this and take action. At eighteen one tends not to be too alert to the need to care for the future, but you are a smart young man who needs to give himself a real chance in life.

Take care.

Genetic
Thanks for the quick post, I have a way of being overlooked on forums.
I suppose the only reason I justify drinking these days is it's similarity to benzos. Alcohol treats my anxiety and tremors just as well as a benzo, and I am very afraid of benzo addiction (irreversable brain damage is common in longterm use, even more so than alcohol.) so I kind of switch between the two to stay afloat without any daily use. An incompetent Pdoc once told me marijuana was just as bad as alcohol for bipolar, but there is no evidence. To be clear, alcohol in particular is a drug that increases the severity of bipolar episodes? what about other drugs? (antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, psychedelics, benzos, opiates, ) It just seems like alcohol= bad for bipolar must mean diazepam = bad for bipolar because they act on similar receptors?
Thoughtbubble is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote