View Single Post
Eliza Jane
Grand Member

Member Since Feb 2010
10 hugs
given
Default Nov 06, 2012 at 10:34 PM

There are a few anti-psychiatry and anti-meds threads here now. I imagine it is quite frightening to folks who are newer (either here or to the diagnosis). I wanted to present the flip side of the coin by sharing my own experience. I invite others to do the same.

I respectfully ask that people who have strong negative feelings about their interactions with psychiatry post about them in other threads. I want the tone here to be positive. I don't deny your experiences and I'm not suggesting that your strategies aren't working for you. I'm simply asking that this thread remain a safe place for people to share how psychiatry has helped them.

I have no doubt that without the proper meds I would not have the good things in my life that I have now. I was almost kicked out of my doctoral program (nearly at the end) due to a severe depressive episode that lasted about 3 years. Depression was preventing me from being functional. I could not concentrate or make progress on anything. I could not enjoy anything. I was in therapy twice a week and had an amazing support system. It wasn't enough. I tried so many different meds and became very frustrated. Finally my pdoc suggested Abilify. I was reluctant because of the antipsychotic label (I was not psychotic). I eventually tried it because I was desperate. I came back to life! I was myself again. I was able to complete my program and get my degree. I found a decent job.

I last December I attempted to stop meds. It was a disaster. It reminded me how bad things were before. Do I love taking meds? No. But it is a worthwhile trade-off for me. I am thankful that I found a treatment that works and I appreciate all the helpful and compassionate pdoc's who helped me find my way back to health.

Best,
EJ
Eliza Jane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote