shortandcute
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2011
2,427 hugs
given
Default Nov 11, 2012 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyG View Post
The problem often becomes the SSI recipient ends up on some form of low-income health insurance that is dependent on them staying within very strict guidelines that have to be reported every year. If you're caught cheating on your income, you face prosecution.

My sister has long-term health problems, can't work and is supported by family. She also is on the state's low-income health insurance that is worth tens of thousands of dollars a year to her, but in order to keep it, she has to live on next to nothing. I can't even give her an extra $50 or $100 without it becoming an issue. She's a paralegal, and knows the law like the back of her hand so she's very careful about it as she knows what could happen otherwise.

There's a time and a place of disability, but if you don't absolutely have to have it, you'll have less people trying to control your life. Sorry if that offends you, but it's the absolute truth. That's why I've never ever thought of trying to get some sort of disability even though I've got basically the same thing as my sister does. I'd rather we live on what my husband earns, and not have to account for it to the government, but then I'm into freedom as my signature indicates.
but what eould you do without your husband's income? what if you were not married or he left you or died? so you are still basically live off someone else and not on your own. not everyone has the luxury of having someone rescue us and provide for us. there are some people who really need it.

http://missracgel.wixsite.com/bearhugs

Last edited by shortandcute; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:41 PM..
shortandcute is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
NishQuiche92