View Single Post
indiansummer

Member Since Sep 2006
Default Sep 13, 2006 at 11:41 AM

Thanks, DJ. And no, the MD is reportedly a general practitioner and not a psychiatrist. Hence my whole discomfort with all of these meds for psychiatric/behavorial disorders. He is reportedly the doc who made the inititial diagnosis of ADHD when she was about 7 or 8. He's a friend of the mom's, as I understand. And when the younger brother came along 9 years later, he was diagnosed as ADHD as well. That's not to say a doc who is a friend of the parent can't make an accurate diagnosis, but I'm not at all comfortable with a GP making these types of diagnoses and continuing the long-term dispensing of meds. Especially in this case, where the mom is a friend of the doc's and has significant problems of her own. I live in a small town too, and have docs for friends. I've been known to skip exams myself and be granted prescriptions with a phone call for things like strep, pulled muscles, etc. And don't forget, a psych. with no family connections has reportedly commented recently that she isn't/never has been ADHD. I say "reportedly" on much of this because these reports come thru my stepdaughter (and/or the mother). On a day-to-day basis, what she ends up telling us proves not to be true on most things. We never know what to believe when it comes from her. The lying is chronic, to say the least, on any subject from the weather to claims of non-existent pregnancies, to where she works (or doesn't) to whether she has a terminal illness this week. A few months before this last ordeal hit the fan, we got a call from her saying that a cat had nearly torn her nose off and that she was having to have major emergency surgery to put her face back together. Needless to say, none of that was true. Given her age, and without her consent, we have no access (that I'm aware of) under these circumstances to her records. I hope I'm just making a needless mountain out of a mole hill. Maternal instinct on overdrive, maybe. I just feel like we're flying blind on this. I guess time will tell.
indiansummer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote