View Single Post
DizzyLizzy

Member Since Aug 2006
Default Sep 14, 2006 at 10:37 AM

I had the same problem when I fisrt applied for disability assistance from my state. My disability is because of my anxiety disorders, so having a nasty case worker was making my anxiety jump through the roof.

My case worker was so nasty and mean, and I could tell he was just burnt-out and hated his job, and I was having major panic attacks anytime I had to have any contact with him (phone or in person).

I was getting so anxious, frustrated, and the things he was saying were so demeaning that I was ready to just drop my application.

So I called the social services office, and said to the receptionist "I would like to speak to Mr. X's boss please". When his boss got on the phone I refused to give my name at first, I just wanted to giver her an explination of the problem and ask her what can be done, and ask if I could switch case-workers. I didn't want to give my name until she answered my questions because if it was impossible to get a new case-worker I didn't want Mr X to know that I had complained about him.

His boss assured me that she would assign me to a new case worker immediately - and it turned out that once I gave her my name she actually took my case folder herself and she became my case-worker for the remainder of the process - and she was great, very kind and friendly and helpful.

So, I was able to get a new case-worker, and she not only helped me get state disability assistance, she then helped me fill out my paperwork for social security disability and because of her help I was approved for ss disability within a few months.

I know that every state in the US does things differently, and you mention canada and I have no idea how things work there -- but I imagine that you could at least try to do something similar to what I did - ask for the persons supervisor/boss and explain the situation without giving your name, then ask what can be done - and if nothing can be done then your complaint won't hurt you because you didn't give your name, but if something can be done you cn then give your name.

I hope that helps.

I know how hard it is to deal with a case-worker like that ((((((((hugs)))))))))

take care,
Liz

~Liz~

DizzyLizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote