View Single Post
OneAndMany

Member Since Jun 2006
Default Sep 25, 2006 at 02:59 PM

I started dealing with the incest in May of this year. I immediately starting seeing a great therapist. Didn't remember anything before then except that I knew something must have happened to cause all my "quirks" and strange reactions.

I've been mildly to moderately depressed almost all my life (since first grade). And for about 6 months was severly depressed/suicidal at age 12. So I know what depression feels like. I haven't taken any medication for it. The one time I got up the courage to tell a doctor (general MD) about it, he sat back, took out his prescription pad, wrote "exercise 5 times weekly", handed it to me and said "is there anything else?". Total jerk. I cried all the way home. That was 10 years ago.

So does anyone know if dealing with abuse will cause a person to feel moderately to severely depressed without really being depressed? Just because life really does suck when you are dealing with lots of repressed crap everyday. Or is this something that I should go to a psychatrist about? I'm not suicidal, but the thought did flicker across the radar recently. I have a two year old so would never let it get to that point.

If I were to get on anti-depressants, would I still be able to feel and process what happened in the past? I want to continue dealing with this so that I can move on with my life. I don't want to get stuck.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Elizabeth