GirlOfManyFaces
Veteran Member

Member Since Jan 2013
344 hugs
given
Default Feb 11, 2013 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astenon View Post
I apologise if this comes across as insulting to people, it's going to touch on religion and it's not my intention to insult anyone's beliefs.

<puts on flame retardant suit>
Girl,
I have a god-daughter who is 15 and I have lived with her mum and her since she was born, so she's like a daughter to me. A couple of months ago she came home and told her mum she thought she was gay because she was attracted to a girl at her youth club. At first, her mum was shocked and somewhat disappointed because she wants grand-kids. After thinking about it for a while though she/we realised two things:

1. This may be a phase she's going through. She is young, hormones are flying through her body (Don't we know it!) and she's learning about herself and who she is. Her attraction to her friend may go somewhere or it may not. Whatever happens, it's her journey and as the significant adults in her life, it's our job to support her when she needs it and give her the space, freedom and guidance to become a good adult.

2. So what if she's gay? It is important in this life to feel secure, be free from harm, to feel a sense of belonging and to be loved (look at Maslow's Triangle of Needs). If my god-daughter finds these things with a woman, then I will not care a jot that it's a woman. I would rather she was with a woman who satisfied those needs than a man who doesn't or worse, one that traps her and takes those needs away.

I was brought up a Catholic, we went to church every Sunday, confession once a month, etc. The bible teaches forgiveness, understanding, honesty, so why did my father frequently beat me for perceived naughtyness? It didn't make sense and is very hypocritical. I didn't understand, and still don't, why religion could preach forgiveness on one hand yet preach hatred against others with different beliefs with the other.

One day when I was 18/19 I had an epiphany brought on by a completely non-religious film - 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure'. In that film, they have a motto "Be excellent to one another". To me, that is 90% of what the bible is trying to say. The 10 commandments can be summarised with that motto. Most of Jesus's teachings can be summarised with that motto. For example, the feeding of the 5000 is Jesus living that motto. I know this seems that I'm trivialising the bible, but I'm really not.

From that moment, I have tried to live my life to that motto. I try not to judge, I try to forgive, I try not to anger. I try to live my life in a way that supports those around me without hurting anyone.

How does this relate to you?
Well I could split hairs and say that Leviticus 18:22 talks about male homosexuality being a sin and not female. I could also point out that Leviticus also promotes slavery, a practice that is now outlawed in most countries in the world. But I don't want to get into a theological debate.

I will simply say, please don't beat yourself up over this. You are young and you are learning about yourself. After everything you've been through, it's no wonder you are seeing attraction in women. Maybe it's a phase and maybe it isn't. Whatever it is, be true to yourself and don't force yourself into one way of life that will make you unhappy.

Thank you sooooo much! I really needed to hear that.
GirlOfManyFaces is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote