Odee
Grand Member

Member Since Jun 2012
476 hugs
given
Default Feb 28, 2013 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnifoo View Post
And on the flip side short bursts of intense exercise can trigger anxiety attacks. My former therapist explained this to me. I didn't have that happen but I got really sick and was unable to get out of bed and this triggered a depressive episode completely with all the bad depressive thoughts.

I was so sick and tired and at one point I was cold but it was too much effort to move so I just lay there for a few minutes until I could work up the energy to rearrange the blankets. I told her I hadn't felt like that in a long time. My therapist said she wasn't surprised I was feeling depressed and having those thoughts that sometimes situations can happen where the body and brain get confused.

Her example was that of someone with anxiety who runs up a flight of stairs and then has an anxiety attack. The attack was triggered not by emotion but by the physical symptoms - heart racing, shortness of breath, sweating, etc. And the brain interpreted that as "anxiety" not "exercise".

I've definitely had panic attacks triggered by the physical effects of exercise. The shortness of breath gets to me the most. It's a terribly ironic course, considering that exercise is supposed to be good for mental disorders including anxiety. I really like the way your therapist described the confusion. I guess moderate exercise is what you really need to be working yourself up to.

Just a little tree kitty.

Depression, Anxiety, Panic. Med free.
Odee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote