Thread: Agoraphobia
View Single Post
BrokenNBeautiful
Mental Wellness Mensch

Member Since Apr 2009
Location: I live with myself. Because that is all I can depend on. Everthing around me changes.
1,457 hugs
given
Default Mar 04, 2013 at 01:18 AM

"Agoraphobia" literally means "fear of the marketplace", but most ppl who have agoraphobia (incl me) are afraid to leave their houses.

When I was recovering from mine, I was still afraid to go certain places or be at certain distances, even though I was no longer scared to leave the house.

Maybe the phobia is about being in comfort zones; being afraid to leave certain comfortable places? Like out of town or getting in the car.

Or being in places where you cannot get home right away or be in control.

Often when I go out with my roommate, I ask him, "Bruce, how long will we be out?" or "Bruce, how long will the movie/presentation/shopping trip, etc. be?"

I usually need to have as much control over the situation as possible. For me, agoraphobia is about not feeling like I have any control over where I am, where I go, what happens around me, etc. I have to feel safe and in control all the time.

I am working on this.

Just my own experience.

Carol

The idea of a soul mate is an ILLUSION. In reality, we must learn to be our own best friend/partner. Then if love comes to us, we will already be whole. All that love can do, at that point, is enhance our wholeness!
BrokenNBeautiful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
JadeAmethyst, optimize990h, spondiferous

Thanks for this!
AngelWolf3, JadeAmethyst, spondiferous