Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2012
32 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster-bamster View Post
Look up mindfulness. "making an effort to relax" is an oxymoron. You cannot do that.

Mindfulness literature would tell you about observing without judgment, just being with you, with yourself, and just the way you are, etc.

Say, just observe your breathing the way it is and stay with your breath. Do not try to breathe more deeply but just observe the way you breathe without WILLING to breathe any differently.

"making an effort" = willing, and that is not the best way to go (plus, it is not possible)

On a completely separate note, if you are watching TV and not paying attention, why don't you turn off the TV?
I don't always articulate what I mean to say very well so maybe what I am typing isn't what I mean to say but I will try anyways.
As time goes on, I become more aware of my feelings, and am getting better at identifying how I feel at that point in time. I am becoming more aware that I obsess too much. When I say I am making an effort to relax, I mean I am making an effort not to pick up my computer and google everything like how to stop binge eating...etc. I am trying to read a book, watch tv and trying to concentrate on that activity and enjoy it without my mind wandering.
Melmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote