View Single Post
southpole

Member Since Dec 2012
150 hugs
given
Default Apr 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessaea View Post
Do you think you can bring it up to your T when you see her next?

I think it's a really scary thing to start feeling comfortable enough to trust someone, and I think most therapists know that. I'm pretty sure they are very prepared for the "push and pull" that comes with that process. It seems like you are really aware of how that is happening within yourself, and I think that is really great. It might be good just to let your T know that you are noticing this pattern, even if you don't mention the email example specifically. This is part of the therapy process, and it is hard and confusing and kinda scary, but you are not alone in it!
Thank you. it helps to know I am not alone. yup I feel very aware of the whole trust thing now (or lack of) and it's quite interesting to realize that maybe this is something of note, I mean something I should bring up in session,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyrabbit View Post
It sounds to me like this is all an important part of the work you're doing with your T as you're touching on things you need to work on. It's just not possible to instantly trust someone, anyway, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Trust is not an all-or-nothing thing, like opening a clam ... Relationships/trust takes two people working together, in person. If you are afraid of heights, that you trust a person "with your life" does not mean you are going to go skydiving with impunity, does it
heh ok yes, it's true. It's not trust, all or nothing! I'm kinda closer to one or the other depending on the day. Am taking this whole email thing as one step closer, argh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBrown View Post
Baby steps, southpole. This is a baby step in the right direction... when you survive incidents like this one (and possibly even benefit from them ), you'll start to grow more confident in your relationship with your T.
I hope so!!!!

You guys are great. I've been worrying all day but I've come home to read this and it's helped. Of course she hasn't answered yet (she's not in the office til Friday, argh) but reading these responses is making me calm down somewhat. I've actually been thinking through this today and as much as part of me is like "what the f*** did you do?" the other part is kind of thankful. Like maybe what I could say in email is what I couldn't say or express in person. I'm still kind of anxious to see her though. Because she hasn't responded I'm in auto-reject mode (ie, she doesn't respond, so I don't care (((I do!!))). I'd like to talk to her about this. Ugh. I've been talking to her about SO MUCH difficult stuff at the moment that it feels like my brain will explode, as will my sense of pride. What the hell, maybe I should just go with it and talk more. I don't know. Maybe not yet. We'll see what the response is, if I get one ...
southpole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote