View Single Post
feralkittymom
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
1,974 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I don't think it's possible or healthy to try to forget because the impact will surface in other ways. To come to a place of acceptance with a release of the associated negative emotions, especially as they play out in the present, is a good thing. But I do think there's no benefit to gratuitous remembering.

I remember a time when I was very upset as memories surfaced that there were still great swaths of time from my past that I didn't remember. I felt like how could I know who I was if my memory was incomplete? My T convinced me that who I was wouldn't be changed by more quantity of memory. That to view myself as incomplete was faulty thinking that would keep me stuck and miserable in my life.

In the years since therapy, I have recovered a few more memories spontaneously. I don't generally feel upset by them: they just take their place as part of the totality of my experience.

Stopdog-- I had some doubts about the accuracy of remembered events, too. Again, my T said that no memory is objectively "true"; we all reconstitute memories, good and bad, a little differently each time the brain calls them forth and re-files them. But that the objective truth isn't very meaningful: what matters is how the memories and their feelings influence us now, and the purpose they serve for us in the present.
feralkittymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
pbutton, stopdog, ultramar