Elder
Community Liaison

Member Since Jan 2010
258 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Mental illnesses are not something one can just 'brush off'; it isn't a choice. How strong someone is, holds practically no relevance.
This is what I really want to say to someone, following their comment they gave me today, which has seriously pissed me off, and on behalf of everyone with MH issues, I'm sorry for this individual's ignorance.

Quote:
Each and everyone of us have hardships in our lives that will bring us down if we let it. Personally I am a very strong person that rarely allows things to bring me down so I would probably have a harder time dealing with someone who couldn't brush things off as I do.
My Lord, does that woman need to be educated.

Have you ever had such an experience that has got to you? It's just amazing how many people who have a warped or outrageous idea about mental health problems. If that woman had said such a thing on a place like this, she'd have been lynched! I ended up gritting my teeth and ignoring her comment, so as not to insight an argument or look petty.

I had asked a group of people whether they would be willing to 'date' someone with mental health issues. I had various replies, good and bad, but this one just hit a nerve.

Last edited by IchbinkeinTeufel; May 05, 2013 at 01:28 PM..
IchbinkeinTeufel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous33145, Anonymous33170, H3rmit, herethennow, Maven, Nammu, Neptune83, Onward2wards, shortandcute, spondiferous, wadingthruemotions

Thanks for this!
H3rmit, herethennow, hezaa82, Nicks_Nose, Onward2wards, shortandcute, wadingthruemotions