View Single Post
lizardlady
Legendary

Member Since Nov 2002
7,537 hugs
given
Default May 09, 2013 at 04:37 PM

Maven, thanks for your comment about feminist sensibilities. I ENJOY doing "male" things like fixing things, working in the yard etc. OK, maybe I don't enjoy all of it. Two days spent with no water while I tried to fix the pump for my well was no dang fun. BUT, I've always enjoyed working outside.

Deborah35, I've been single for almost 13 years since my husband was killed. For the most part I enjoy it. I like the freedom of coming and going when I want. I have a high stress job that entails working with people all day. I absolutely love driving up to my front gate at night and knowing I don't have to deal with another human being until the next day. Of the things you specifically mentioned...

-sleeping alone- oh the glory of not having to share the bed anymore! I can sprawl in the middle of the bed if I want. My husband was a bed hog. I frequently spent the night trying to sleep balanced on a thin sliver of the edge of the bed. NO MORE! Ok, every once in awhile I miss having a warm body to snuggle up against in the night. I have a stuffed cat plus four real cats who sleep with me. Not quite the same, but close.

- eating alone - is one of the perks of being single as far as I'm concerned. I can eat what I want, when I want. If I want a bowl of cold cereal for dinner ain't no one to fuss at me about it. I do understand about not wanting to cook for one person some nights. And I do like to cook - sometimes. I have a couple of solutions. I'll spend some time cooking on Sunday and make enough to eat during the week. I eat healthy frozen dinners. and I eat out a couple of times a week.

- not having someone to come home to - this is a mixed bag for me, but primarily one of the things I like about being single. Like I said above. I love not having to deal with another human being until the next day. When I have had a bad day and need to talk to someone about it, I have some good friends I can call and talk to or I come to PC.

lack of affection - maybe the fact my husband was abusive makes me kind of jaded about this. Having another person in the house does not mean I will receive affection. I am happier now coming home to no one than I was coming home to someone who either ignored me or hurt me. Being in a relationship does not guarantee that the other person will be there for us or support us or treat us with affection.

I tell people. I was my parents' daughter for 23 years. Then I was married for 23 years. I'm going to try out being single for 23, then I figure out what comes next!
lizardlady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous33145, Cheshire Grin

Thanks for this!
Aiuto, Cheshire Grin, kirby777, Maven, Seshat