View Single Post
Rapunzel
Legendary

Member Since Jun 2003
132 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 04, 2006 at 02:53 AM

I am rather late catching up with this new forum, but now I have read every post here, and a little bit of the book. I hope that I am not too late to participate in trying out the five steps. I have been so stuck lately (and probably for my whole life), and I am hoping maybe to find some answers here. Feedback would be appreciated, and I'll do my best to accept the feedback. I hope that I'm finally ready to start changing, and I know that nobody can do it for me, or even give me the answers.

This is a very complex problem, and one that I have been stuck in for a very long time, although I think I am seeing the real problem now for the fist time (with help). What I am trying to deal with is the actual ability to engage in the change process. (1) I somehow discredit or disregard feedback and remain stuck, failing to change. 'Constructive' feedback I use to beat myself up with. Positive comments I get rejected too, even if only in my head. Or just plain ignored. (2) hopeless, despair, self-hate. (3) I need to develop the skills to be able to really look at myself accurately and honestly, and to sort out valid perceptions (my own or someone elses) from invalid ones. I need to be able to respond to those observations and do something with them. I need to accept myself where I am even though I am far from having it all together. I need to be able to give myself credit for the positives even though I would like to do better. Developing self-esteem would be a big part of this. (4) I find a way to argue with anything, telling myself that I don't deserve anything good because I'm not good enough and never can be good enough. I convince myself that I should be something other than what I am, and that I should be able to change who I am pretty much instantly, or that I should have done it ages ago, and also that I should not need help with it. I feel that I am worthless if I can't get everything right on the first try, and if someone has to tell me that I didn't get it, then I must be bad/incompetent/worthless .... And if someone pays me a compliment, I find some way to discount it - I had help, or it was an accident that I did something that turned out okay, or it really isn't good enough, or anybody could do it, .... (5) This is the hard part, but there must be a lot of unconscious stuff going on otherwise this wouldn't be so hard. A lot of it is feeling like it really isn't okay to be okay or to be competent, even though I really want to. This comes from my upbringing, as my parents wanted to keep me as a dependent child forever, and that message came across from them a lot. There is also a lot of fear of failure, and also a belief that the only way to be cared about is to be in need of help, so if I did manage to change the stuff that I need to change, nobody would want to help me anymore, or care about me. I'm also afraid of needing too much help and everyone getting tired of it.

Rap

Rapunzel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote