View Single Post
lunario23

Member Since May 2013
1 hugs
given
Angry May 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM

I know this is old... But this exact same thing happened to me again, for the umpteenth time, and I am very tired of it! I suffer from depression, as well--disorders on Axis I and II, and got approved for disability due to these disorders after a FOUR YEAR fight. Actually I applied a year or two before that but gave up hope and let it drop.

I'm 24 now. And everywhere I go, because I have no disability that can be seen with the eye, I get pulled aside and asked questions. It's rather discriminatory if you ask me! Or is it, not to be rude, just for the elderly...?

Today I went to a podiatrist. As I was in the office I heard the office workers whisper something about Medicare and, "Is this right?" I ignored it, figuring it wasn't about me. Boy was I wrong. When I see the podiatrist he asks me, "Why are you on Medicare?"

I guess I'm losing my patience these days... I just snapped the obvious, "I'm on disability" and added, "because of depression." The guy made a remark about "people being lazy". So I didn't care, I told him! I told him I've been on medication since the age of 15 for it, spent time in a psych ward, used to go to my state's all day therapy and counselling program at a top hospital, and a few years ago cut myself and received 17 stitches, as well as that I had a neuropsychological evaluation at one of the top hospitals in the state, 2 hours away, to finally get APPROVED for disability!

I'm soooo glad it's not just me... I nearly break into tears every time I get pulled aside and asked this! When I turned in my checks to cash or deposit from my Social Security awards, even the BANKS would do the same things! "Where did you get this money?" "Why did you get it?" The answer of, "For disability" is obviously not an acceptable answer to some institutions and they pry more!

This really shouldn't be happening! It's very invasive and rude! A FOOT DOCTOR, OR A BANKER, should NOT be asking my reason for disability! I would love to snap, "Why don't you contact Social Security and find out?" but alas, I am a very shy, quiet, and nervous girl.

I really like the response about not talking about it, it's not your business, etc...

But urgh! Drives me nuts!!!
lunario23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
anneo59, Arethusa, Nammu, shortandcute

Thanks for this!
anneo59, BrokenNBeautiful