Elder

Member Since Nov 2011
3,670 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by court View Post
So I went to the pdoc today. My mom came with me because she wanted to talk to him about my future and what it will look like. He basically told her that I could really never live alone and be an independent person and that I would probably be on medicine the rest of my life. These past few years have been really rough and I’m basically just wondering if it gets any better or will it always be like this?
I'm an independant person. I've held the same job for 5.5 years now. I am the main financial support for my family. I get all the bills paid, I run all the errands.

I'm not on medication. I'm not in therapy.

I don't live alone because I'm married and I have 3 boys, and my mother-in-law lives with us. But, I could live alone if that was not the case.

I help around the house and I'm a good mom. I am also working on writing my novels which is sometimes a challenge and sometimes easy.

The idea that if you're mentally ill you are incapable of leading a normal life is a myth. Your pdoc is a judgemental, ignorant *** for telling your mom such a thing.

The main thing is remember, you are the key to your wellness.

You can choose to walk the path of healing instead of the path of being a victim to your illness. Taking the proper steps to learn about your illness, your tiggers, your wellness strategies, and to not give up. Even if you go through hard times, as long as you don't give up, you can make it.

Your pdoc should be giving you hope instead of taking it from you. I'd fire him, personally, for his negative attitude. That's the last thing any of us need.

faerie_moon_x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
anneo59, Confusedinomicon, hannabee, Sometimes psychotic