View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 17, 2013 at 06:51 AM

I think that they changed their codes because friendships rarely create problems for people, and it is much more important for them to emphasize that financial and sexual relationships are super problematic. I also think it's the reality that when people make a connection and want to continue it outside of therapy when therapy is done, it is counter to most humanistic principles to forbid it.

It would be complicated for me to consider forever giving up the possibility of returning to T if we were to become friends. I thought I was done with therapy 15 years ago, after about 5 years. But things revealed themselves years later that I needed to address, partly because of my child aging to the age I was when I was abused, partly because my H became a religious fanatic, or something like that. This has been the deepest work yet. I think that it would be hard for me to imagine that nothing could happen that might drive me back into therapy. However, I have had three different therapists, and there is no reason why I couldn't find another. I could see how the trade off of a continuing relationship with T might be worth finding another relationship later if needed. All of my T relationships have been excellent.

There is a good description of the post therapy, friendship process in one of my favorite novels. Lisa Alther is the author, Other Women is the book. You might enjoy reading this story.

I am very happy for you that you are contemplating the end of therapy and that things are going so well for you. Bravo!
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote