Thread: My Guilt
View Single Post
darkeyes
Elder

Member Since May 2001
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 10, 2006 at 12:05 PM

That is a generalization, doesn't necessary apply to all.
The immense and exaggerated feelings of guilt, can exist in people with Bipolar and those without.
I think you really need to work with a professional on this.
I found out drinking may seem like a quick fix but has long term negative effects on our minds as well as our health, "self-medicating" will only mess you up.
You shouldn't feel guilty about what your kids feel about your DX, go with a "real" plan, under a pdoc's care, be compliant, and you can get this under control, remaining stable possibly most of your life. I like my beer, but it can never substitute for meds and pdoc visits, nor should it ever. It may be a good idea, if possible, to get the kids into some family counseling,educating them about Bipolar, or even send for some literature from NAMI, at the begining of this forum, you'll see info on organization(s) that can help.
Can't promise the kids will get it, and if outsiders have tainted them with untruths about mental disorders, it may be tough. It helps when a spouse and/or therapist talks and explains whats going on with mom or dad, together all can make this work. But you need to know that you need to take care of yourself,work with a pdoc.,etc. others can't do it for you. It's really hard I know, but drinking is what intensifies our problems, guilt,anger,depression and even physical health problems, which is only making matters worse. I'm sorry, for my rambling, and I wish I had something more helpful to offer here to you.
Please take care,
DE