View Single Post
drclay

Member Since Oct 2006
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 13, 2006 at 11:41 AM

oakiedocie:

I like your kind of questioning, doubtful kind of message. You raise good points. I'll briefly try to explain my viewpoints. First, I am not certain that every problem has 5 parts but what I am more certain is that there are five aspects of the problem that can be changed using certain methods. Chapters 11 to 15 explain the methods that concentrate on changing behaviors, reducing unwanted emotions, developing useful skills, changing attitudes and thinking, and uncovering or yeilding insights into the unconscious.

I agree with you that the five parts idea may be adding complexity that keeps some people from finding simple solutions. But people who can think of and apply simple solutions aren't reading my book--they don't need to. Yes, there are many people who can tell you a lot about their problem but they can't think of a solution--knowing more about possible solutions can help you see solutions you hadn't seen before.

If a solution just pops in your mind, you don't need to buy or read a book.

There may be different kinds of over-analyzers: some prefer to think about the problem more than to solve the problem. I think some people do gain insight over a long period of time by reading Freud and many other thoughtful therapists (e.g. I think learning about my attraction to my mother helped me understand my life), but this took years or months and may be a different process from quick cures by overcoming an anxiety.

Being aware of emotional changes may be helpful; being worried or obsessed about them may be unhelpful. What do you think?

drclay