View Single Post
Jannaku

Member Since Jul 2012
81 hugs
given
Default Jun 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdwifeofsociopath View Post
I read that sex addiction is being argued as not an addiction but a disorder with underlying problems with mental health. things like having a rough childhood and a narcissistic father would qualify. these underlying problems create the desire to do sexual activities that are frequent and towards the fetish field. personally I would not make a big deal about the masturbating and focus more on communication on what's bothering him. do it now while you have a chance of him not completely shutting down from you. I know you've been trying but maybe a more lax approach where he doesn't realize how a light conversation got so deep and personal rather than an "overly concerned mother" approach. the more he thinks he's independent, the more he "won't need you". if he won't talk to you, make sure he doesn't stop seeing the therapist and if he decides he doesn't like him than let him pick another but don't let him stop. As far as the shower, let him see the difference in the water bills before and after it started and tell him if he continues long showers he can pay for it. As far as the sleep, leave articles on the effects of lack of sleep where he can see them and take away his electronics from bedtime till after school, or homework, or whenever you feel he's allowed to use them. if he runs away again give the police a call and let them scare him. that's what I would do. ps. I have noticed that people tend to open up if it goes two ways.
Thanks so much for your reply. I tend to agree with everything you've said. I am trying very hard to get that communication happening with him but he is a very difficult nut to crack. I am suspecting that he may be suffering from depression. Just read up about teen depression and he does seem to fit alot of the signs and symptoms. I also think the compulsive masturbation comes from much deeper within. You've suggested some great things - like the water bill, effects of lack of sleep and calling the police. He has agreed to go to a therapist together with me (as well as alone) to work on sorting out some of his problems but mainly his anger since this is the most worrisome. That is a step in the right direction so I am happy that he still has a desire to want to fix his problems. Thanks again
Jannaku is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ocdwifeofsociopath