View Single Post
Happy Camper

Member Since Sep 2012
102 hugs
given
Default Jun 24, 2013 at 09:08 PM

How do you distinguish from a few weeks of mood fluctuation, and actual bipolar mood swings?

Several times a month I experience a flare up of negative reactive moods swings, sometimes multiple times a day for weeks, but they seem heavily circumstantial and thought-dependent. Then I also get these euphoric bouts of energy and giddiness, but they come onto me almost instantly and I feel them more in my body. They come on very abruptly and don't change in intensity unless they start alternating quickly which stresses me out more and causes a feedback loop. I'm really thinking the euphoria might be a physical thing since ambien and Tylenol or other nsaids also trigger the euphoria.

I also don't behave or appear depressed/dysphoric/manic or behave differently, I just get triggered and lose my mental resilience to aggressive negative thoughts. I was diagnosed bipolar 1 because of these types of mood swings (supposedly having a mixed episode) but the really confusing part is that I do get major depression every few years and I just recently had a 4 month episode of what was probably mania with psychosis (making BP1 a valid diagnosis), but it's apparent to me now it's the chronic symptoms that were mistaken for bipolar, while I get treated for it which does nothing since I wasn't having a bipolar episode, but a very bad flare up of something else.

Is it possible to have two types of mood disorders? Could I have some cptsd? Am I just a super rapid cycler (who doesn't respond at all to meds?) Could it be borderline pd? My thyroid is always normal but I'm never convinced they've been thorough enough in eliminating physical causes. I feel like I would be a new person if I developed amnesia and stopped using the hamster wheel in my head.

/rant
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote