View Single Post
RomanSunburn
Poohbah

Member Since May 2008
633 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 25, 2013 at 07:10 PM

Here is the Planned Parenthood website with a comparison of how effective different forms of birth control are:

Birth Control Chart

And this one is a list that you can click on different types of birth control to learn more about them:

Birth Control Methods - Birth Control Options

I had to look up the mini-pill to be sure, but I thought it was the progestin only pill, which it is. This is the sight I was reading about it on:

Birth control pills: The minipill (progestin-only pills) | BabyCenter

I've never known anyone who has used it and haven't used it myself either, so I can't really give any advice on it. One thing to keep in mind with birth control is they say it can take 6 months for your body to get used to it and reduce your side affects. I do agree that this one does not sound like the right one for you. I don't know your specific brand, but there are a lot of different ones out there, so maybe just trying a different birth control pill might help. I was on the generic Yazmine for a while, and I found it gave me terrible mood swings, so I switched to Levora, which I have been very happy with. I think any medication is a bit of a trial and error, even birth control.

In the mean time, there are other options. Condoms are always readily available. You could also investigate fertility-awareness methods or family planning. I would definitely use a backup method, such as condoms, when going this route, but I'm also a big supporter of two BC methods at all times until I'm ready for a baby.

I would try talking to your doctor. Tell them the side affects your experiencing and that you would like to try something else. They might recommend a different hormonal birth control or talk about other options with you. They also might have ideas for managing an increase in PMS symptoms prior to your period (I had a pdoc suggest taking extra vitamin B complex 1-2 weeks before my period to help with increased anxiety).

Good luck!
RomanSunburn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote