Account Suspended

Member Since Sep 2011
3,729 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemystery View Post
hamster-bamster: Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess my parents were careless, although I only missed a couple years and not consecutively. I always got all of my immunizations. But I think my dad planted a seed of mistrust about doctors in me, so I do sort of feel like I have to protect myself when I go. You're totally right that I see my doctor as an authority figure and not exactly as a helper, though I understand that I shouldn't.
I am glad you are current on the shots and all!

I can offer the following: doctors have a fairly privileged position in American society and enjoy higher salaries and all, and that might contribute to your seeing the doctor as an authority figure. Going with mid-level professionals (called midwives and nurse practitioners) who are more like "the rest of us real people" due to their less privileged social status MIGHT help you perceive them correctly - as helpers rather than authority figures. Just a thought. Plus, if you do that and then, when you get older and might get pregnant, you would be a natural candidate for midwifery care for pregnancy and childbirth, and midwifery care for no-complication cases is better than doctor care in many respects, so it would be a win for you. So try PP next time. Plus, there is the benefit of high experience there because people at PP do those kind of things all day long and a general practitioner does not - she needs to also treat diabetes and strep throats.

In any event, you seem to be OK and clear on what was real and what was your perception. I think it will be easier next time because you have a clear picture in your mind now of what will be happening.
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
purplemystery