hamster-bamster
Account Suspended

Member Since Sep 2011
3,729 hugs
given
Default Jun 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post

Also if some people view their own homosexuality as a disease then why can't they seek help for it?
It is an interesting point... but suffers from circular reasoning - in the case of the conversion "therapy", the providers of the "service" act to convince their potential clients that there is a disease. The word itself - "conversion" - implies that there is a treatable disease. So, not fair.

I can possibly see myself being a therapist and not believing that it is a disease, yet, when asked for help from a client who does believe that it is a disease, trying to do something to help the client. It is a can of worms, since there is no evidence that it can be "helped" and you agree with that, but at least, ***in theory***, I can see myself doing things with the client that would, potentially, induce the client to be attracted to the opposite sex. But for that I need to be a completely neutral service provider in the first place who never advertises the services called "conversion therapy".

In other words, it is not that we should disallow those who think that it is a disease to seek help, but that we should disallow coercion and deceptive advertising practices. To offer "conversion therapy" for a non-existent disease promising unrealistic results is false advertising. It is not that there is no false advertising because there is, but even outside of therapy, there are sanctions for false advertising. Given that:

- potential clients are underage
- the practice involves an occupation regulated by the government

the sanctions against false advertising should only be stronger.
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote