Account Suspended

Member Since Sep 2011
3,729 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 01, 2013 at 10:52 PM

If I may venture my opinion on the main source of your difficulty, it is this:

---Quote (Originally by DrSkipper)---
I think there would be a lot of uproar if high school seniors and college kids all started paying for sex. It would damage there ability to maintain genuine relationships if given the opportunity to pay for something meaningless when sex should be meaningful.
---End Quote---

So apparently you, if legislature would ask for your input, would keep prostitution illegal or outlaw legal prostition because you think that sex should be meaningful, and you believe that you can decide for others what their experiences mean for them. So, you do not. People decide what their experiences mean for them by themselves. Further, the meaning of an experience may not become apparent until much later. But at any rate, it is not the case that sex SHOULD be meaningful. Sex is just what every individual person makes of it for himself or herself. And the meaning is not up to you to determine. And if somebody wants to have sex without meaning (as per his or her own concept of a meaning, and not determined in consultation with you), they should be able to do that. As long as their partners are consenting, why not?

Further, when you wrote that "It would damage there ability to maintain genuine relationships if given the opportunity to pay for something meaningless when sex should be meaningful.", you implied that people get into relationships in order to have sex. You said that if they can pay for sex, they won't get into genuine relationships (whatever you meant by "genuine"). In other words, in your worldview, relationships are a way to get sex that one cannot get for money. But then relationships are basically being forced onto people who cannot get sex other than via having relationships. Is there any fun in being in this kind of a relationship? I do not think so.

In other words, you support all sorts of unusual and advanced things such as BDSM, which is all great, no question about that, but do not support the basic human right to decide what is meaningful for ourselves.

And that is why I do not get. And I think that the double standard picked up by several people on this thread is somehow tied to (I am not sure how, at this point) your lingering concept of "sex should be meaningful" - the concept that is wrong on many levels, as described above. If you let go of the concept, maybe there won't be so many creeps and douchebags around anymore.