View Single Post
aliciainwonderland

Member Since Jul 2013
Default Jul 10, 2013 at 06:58 PM

Research is showing the importance of touch in human well-being. I think we actually confuse touch need with sexual need. Touching between humans isn't just sexual, or shouldn't be. Unfortunately, in US society they are linked. In many cultures, it is acceptable for women to hold hands, embrace, touch, and not be considered in any kind of lesbian relationship. I think many people in our society are hurting like you are from the lack of being able to just touch or be touched without being perceived as making sexual advances. I think that is what is happening with your housemate. You share a space and it goes against the human grain to not be able to touch, by hugging, a pat, a handhold. I was a virgin until I was 32 and married. I had many friends and housemates, but no touching. Then I married and began an active sex life. I saw for myself how much I enjoyed just being touched by another human - not sexually. I have read that for that reason alone massage has become popular in our culture. Even if it is a stranger, it is another human being touching your skin. Research is showing that it does have a positive effect on your emotional well-being. I wish we could be more touching in our society without it being construed as sexual and inappropriate....
aliciainwonderland is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote