View Single Post
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Sep 2010
23k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 13, 2013 at 01:13 PM

Hey, I assume you are a teenager or a young adult. At this point, you are very aware of their limitations--and of course, wanting independence.

I remember those days very well. (I won't scare you by telling you my mother is now 85, and I have grown children--and my mother can still be an issue!)

I guess they define "attitude" as not wanting to follow their guidelines, talking back to them, etc.?

The tough part is when you are still dependent on them for your financial needs--and other needs. The "as long as you are still living under my roof" card is not one that really can be trumped.

I gather they are really struggling themselves. Money matters? Marriage issues? Family problems? Being around middle-age is not an easy time for adults either. I sometimes wonder why people naturally have teenagers when they are often having their own life crises!

When school starts again, then you might want to talk to the counselor about your situation, to get an objective perspective.

Please remember that your parents are not perfect. No humans are. Yes, they might even be more flawed than some humans. Are they actually abusing you?

If it's any consolation at all, if you keep your grades up, keep out of legal trouble, etc., then you will be able to have your own life and make your own decisions. I suggest you try to look at things objectively. Is the advice they are giving you reasonable or at least not harmful?

Hang in here! I know sometimes things don't seem fair. Of course, all I know is what you are telling me. Okay?
Travelinglady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote